GUILDFORD ON A WHIM

Karks: "You up for a muffin and a coffee this morning? Either out or I can bring to you"

Me: "I need brekky, wanna meet at the West End Deli?"

K: "Yep, when?"

M: "Now, first one there grabs a table"

west end deli

So began what became an awesome spontaneous day that started mid morning in West Perth and ended mid afternoon in Guildford. After breakfast it was decided I need a dining room table for my new place, this is not a particularly cheap exercise and after being inspired by the $4000 numbers at EMPIRE I suggested the antique/junk shops of Guildford. Karks knows an owner of one of them so off we went....

Guildford

That was a total failure so we decided to have a wander. Note the charred remains of the Guildford pub in the background, so sad. We did notice that there are a surprisingly large number of stages in Guildford, they must have loved theatre back in the day, like this one I noticed abandoned at the back of one of the shops. More to come later as well....

stage

I'd always looked upon Guildford as a place that should have been better than it was, I mean it has so much history but really it was mostly a dump. Not so much anymore, there's been a resurgence and some fantastic old buildings, ones I had honestly never really noticed before, have been given a new lease of life. This place and its fantastic old homes is really starting to become a nice place to live.

Colonial Stores

Bushells

A counter lunch at one of the flashed up pubs was in order, we chose the Rose and Crown. It was completely packed inside and out and they had stopped taking food orders for 15 minutes so the kitchen could dig itself out of the kaka. We grabbed a cold beer and waited and eventually got these....

lunch

The food was okay, not the best steak sandwich I have ever had though, is that bread really toasted eh? And since when did steak sandwiches start to cost $22.00? But some things never change though do they, like community markets, always full of crappy stuff you really don't want or need but still great fun to look through. (did you note that brilliant segue?)

365 Days | Day 248

Guildford Market1

I mean, everyone needs corrugated animals yes? or colourful toadstools errrr....what?

corrugated animals

Guildford Market2

and yet another Guildford stage

Guildford Town Hall Stage

I love how they've put the ingredients on the label in pen, keeping pace with modern day requirements, even in the homemade marmalade industry

marmalade

and then I saw this....

volvo-1

a really great day, thanks Karks

Comments

stella said…
OK I don't know why, but Guildford gives me the heebie jeebies!! There's just something about the town that makes me feel a little uneasy. My friends feel the same way so I swear I'm not completely crazy :)
Did you end up finding a table?
stu said…
two days ago I would have agreed with you, but it really has improved. I like it.

Nah no table but that's cool it has at least made me rethink what style I want so that's a good thing
tiff said…
My accountant is in Guildford. It's nice in the day with lots of cafes and op shops (and a crazy guy or 2) but it got kinda weird when i peeped inside that taxidermy museum. Creepy!
stu said…
oh wow, I missed that, if I'd known.... :)
Irishman said…
Just back from a few days away, great post man, gorgeous detail! Nice photos too. :)
stu said…
I see you've been hiking. Looked fun
Irishman said…
No actual hiking really - two days of rock climbing (brilliant fun!), and a bit of walking.

Another opportunity to climb the highest mountain in Ireland passed me by! (The current girlie's not really that outdoorsy.)
stu said…
Aaahh girls :|

if they weren't so damn cuddly...