THE DEEP SOUTH

Spent last week down in the deep south of Western Australia, well Dwellingup actually, which isn't exactly deep, but there is yokels aplenty :o) Aidan and I have been working in the forests down there searching for archaeological sites, with some success too. Some interesting stuff.

Quite a contrast to my usual surrounds of the parched and hot Pilbara in the north west. This terrain has it's own specific perils and comforts. Perils include Dugite and Tiger snakes which you don't see on the forrest floor until you almost step on them, I think our tally for the week was 2 snakes and a small but angry goanna. I have pics of one of the snakes somewhere but will post later.

This lil fella ^ was one of two dogs who lived on the property we were staying on, actually she aint a fella!! Ha!! We stayed in a cottage on a small farm, which was very nice to come home to after a hard days slog in the Forrest.

The view from our verandah

(click pics for bigger views)
view

Aidan with the dogs

Aidan

As you can see from the pics below it's a pretty cool Forrest, sadly I can't say that it's virginal, as it's has been logged heavily, but plenty of trees left (those considered not worthy of a chop)

forrest

forrest2forrest3

This was a very cool creek I stumbled across and almost into at one point, it had Rainbow Trout and Marron in it.

"My kingdom for a hook and a line"

forrest4

creek

Aidan displaying his parking skills in the Forrest

parked

The Dwellingup pub, where the beers cold, the locals are a mixed bunch, some are just weird but most were welcoming and friendly, pity the food is crap. Big on grease in Dwellingup, helps fight against the cold nights I guess.

pub

Comments