THE BEAUTIFUL GAME

His name is Hans Van Der Meer. I'm loving his photography. I played amateur football for almost 30 years, right up until my knees packed it in last year. So I'm immediately drawn to stuff like this.

He's taken a series of photos of football fields from the lower amateur leagues of Europe. Simple, beautiful, stark and even harsh settings, yet he's captured them wonderfully. I can fully relate to a football pitch jammed behind some houses in a working class suburb, I've played on heaps of them. But they never struck me as beautiful, perceptions can change though can't they. It's almost as if the action on the park is a sideshow to the surrounds. I guess it always was, 90 minutes later and it reverts to a space again.

water
Keeper
foul
Red Card
Italy
Click here for the rest, Oh and I just bought the book on Amazon, can't wait :o)

Comments