A fairly fabulous day yesterday out on the Swan river. The company staff party and we hired 4 racing yachts and their skippers, split everyone up into teams and went for it. I've never raced a yacht before and I gotta say it's a real rush, sure there's the slow bits but the starts are exhilarating and when you have the yacht on an angle out of the water speeding along it's pretty damn cool and your adrenaline explodes.
Our first start was most excellent fun, 3 of the yachts heading directly at the start line whilst ours was heading along it and on a collision course with the others, ready to tack at the exact moment we were supposed to cross the line. This saw the front of our boat come screaming behind the rear ends of the others, I'd say there was inches in it, coolest part was that I was steering at the time and it felt friggen awesome to pull off the manoeuvre. Even with everyone else screaming "look out, we're gonna hit aaaaiiiiiieeeeee". Hilariously good stuff.
Our boat managed 2 wins, a tied second and a third. Natch we all let the boss win (that and she has like tonnes of years experience sailing so we were never really a threat) but win or lose it's awesome fun, give it a try.
Our first start was most excellent fun, 3 of the yachts heading directly at the start line whilst ours was heading along it and on a collision course with the others, ready to tack at the exact moment we were supposed to cross the line. This saw the front of our boat come screaming behind the rear ends of the others, I'd say there was inches in it, coolest part was that I was steering at the time and it felt friggen awesome to pull off the manoeuvre. Even with everyone else screaming "look out, we're gonna hit aaaaiiiiiieeeeee". Hilariously good stuff.
Not our yachts, merely a dream
Our boat managed 2 wins, a tied second and a third. Natch we all let the boss win (that and she has like tonnes of years experience sailing so we were never really a threat) but win or lose it's awesome fun, give it a try.











Comments