HYPNOTIC BRASS ENSEMBLE

I'll admit I had absolutely no idea what to expect with these guys, "funky crazy jazz" is how someone described them, they where on the money. It was the last night of Becks Music Box and these guys where gonna close the season out. They hit the stage dressed like 8 buff homeboys in baggy jeans and tight white singlets and T's, each carrying a brass instrument. One of them grabbed the mic and it was all "Yeah yeaaaaaaah Australia give it up for south side Chicagooooooooo" So now we had funky crazy jazz with hip hop and rap. It was a most excellent combo.

hypnotic brass ensemble

The group is made up mostly of 7 brothers and a couple of other dudes the brothers are all the sons of Jazz trumpeter Phil Cohran (he been busy without the trumpet it seems). These guys made you move, no way could anyone stand still watchin them. I can't really describe the music, I'll let the vids do it for you, but the atmosphere was pure "paaaartaaaaay". There was hilarity, groovy tunes, wicked beats, it had it all. What a great way to close out the Festival, seriously if you ever get a chance to see these guys perform then do it.






Comments

Anonymous said…
Check out website for feature length documentary about the band, coming later this year:

www.HypnoticBrassFilm.com