KATIA AND MAURICE KRAFFT

 or... what's the deal with volcanoes?

Katia and Maurice

For as long as I can remember I've been equally fascinated and terrified of volcanoes. I'm not really sure why, as I live in a country that has no active ones, well we have two but they're located 4000 kilometres south west of my home city of Perth. And they're in the Australian Antarctic Territory, on Heard Island and the nearby McDonald Islands to be exact. So my chances of being enveloped in a cloud of boiling ash and lava, or magma or whatever it is that rolls down and kills you. are extremely thin. And yet, I honestly have a fear of them.

That said, I seem to also be drawn to them, although never one that is active, more drawn to them out of curiosity and only the safe ones. But I've visited a couple and even stood on the ancient lava fields of one, that one being Amboy Crater in the eastern Mojave Desert of southern California. It was most cool, sadly we didn't have time to hike to the top of the crater but it was cool nonetheless.

close up view of the lava flows from Amboy Crater

One crater I have been inside of is Mount Franklin in Victoria. You can literally drive up the side of the crater and even go camping or have a picnic inside its lush green interior. It's quite amazing, but also not active. As you can now see, I'm a bit of a volcano scientist myself.

I've seen worse camping/picnic spots

So that brings me to the title of this rambling post of nothingness. I've just finished watching the documentary Fire of Love. It's the story of Katia and Maurice Krafft (top pic). Two French volcanologists who most definitely got up close with volcanoes. It's a love story and a tragedy and it's nominated for an Academy Award, I hope it wins.

This pic hits home



do try and watch the whole doco

Comments