SHANE MACGOWAN 1957 - 2023

 

On this day a shitty human being passed away and so did Shane MacGowan. I'm not going to sully this piece on Shane with the other one's name, suffice to say we are better off for it. Anyway enough on that!

I first discovered The Pogues in the late 80s, wow, I'd never seen anything like them. I wasn't sure if I liked them or hated them. Then I took some time to get to know them, the late 80s were my first discover diverse music years, and yeah nothing compared.

I've felt a lot of things about the Pogues and in particular their charasmatic/crazywild lead singer Shane MacGowan. Love, dislike, admiration, wonderment, shock, sadness, sympathy... I mean every fucking emotion you can think of really. Because that's what MacGowan could do, what he could elicit from you. Either through his music or his actions. From a hardcore Irish folk punk number through to the greatest xmas song ever written Fairytale In New York, okay, maybe equal best ever because who could leave out Tom Waits Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis. I'll post em both below, not for your judgement but for your listening pleasure, he was a delight.


To get to the point, Shane has passed away at just 65, he hasn't had a healthy life, self inflicted mostly. He was a man of magnificent song writing talent and the undisputed king of excess. He was loved by many and he will be missed by many. Sleep well you magnificent bastard and I hope all the pain is nopw gone.

                     

           

Comments