OLD PERTH # 15

Perth Airport

These arrived in my email inbox this afternoon, so pumped to get them. Only a few days ago I was thinking about the old Perth airport and in particular that wall of clocks which had a map of the world and a clock over every major city. As kids we used to rush up and see what time it was right now in New York and London. Wasn't technology awesome? I can barely remember the airport as I think it was redone before I even became a teenager, although parts of it remained until at least the 90's I think. But these pics have jogged a few memories, esp the pond with the swans...

Main entrance
Perth Airport

Interior garden with pond and viewing deck
Perth Airport

Just wander up to the edge of the runway and greet your guests
Perth Airport

another shot of that pond
Perth Airport

and the black swans, no doubt with clipped wings so the tourists got to see them
Perth Airport

These next two show the old main lounge and I really remember this bit, I always thought it was very cosmopolitan. Mainly because on the far wall was a map of the world and over every major city there was a clock showing what time it was in that city right now. Such modern technology for us to behold
Perth Airport
Perth Airport

out on the tarmac
Perth AirportPerth Airport

pre ATM's
Perth Airport

mandatory bar with stools
Perth Airport




Comments

Cathy said…
Stu, that bar was called 'The Orbit Inn'. I remember sitting there in my bestest outfit waiting to greet some friends of my folks. It was a really big deal! The favourite part was always feeding the swans and then waving hello or goodbye on the deck outside!
stu said…
The Orbit Inn! OMG that is just too perfect.

All I remember about the bar at the airport is that it was open later on Sunday nights (back in the days of the Sunday sessions) than other pubs and if you pretended you were there to meet someone flying in you could drink there till late.

Maybe you didn't even have to pretend ha who knows.
Gregoryno6 said…
A great piece of our city's past! Only one item missing: a pic of a TAA jet with the big T on the tailfin.
Fly TAA, The Friendly Way!
(Or as Reg Ansett used to say, Try Another Airline.)
stu said…
I should include this pic of my dad leaving via Perth airport for the State Football carnival on TAA then :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yelpar/4892607419/
Gregoryno6 said…
Nice!
I found this one at a site called ausairuniforms.com. Lots to see there.
http://www.ausairuniforms.com/images/TAAwhisperjet1.jpg
Linked on my blog to this, hope it scores a few extra views for you.
stu said…
cheers and cheers

yeah cant remember ever flying TAA but i did fly the Blue version of ANSETT a few times never the red
Unknown said…
is this a joke! this is so beautiful, and once again it is a shame to be born in the 90's in perth. crazy people are in charge!! who could imagine 're-doing' the airport. even the plane designs are gorgeous. thankyou for these pics, as they give me some sense of ghostly perth heritage.
stu said…
Ha. Sadly not a joke. I understand progress but what has been destroyed in Perth in its' name is criminal. Just click the 'old perth' tag at the bottom of the post and see some other examples of what has been lost :(
Anonymous said…
Does anyone know what happened to the Swans and what year they left the Airport? I believe they were introduced in 1962.
stu said…
Not really, but Perth Zoo would be a natural choice, or just released back into the wild