THAT WAS A HUGE DAY OUT

Well the 2005 Big Day Out is behind us, what a day. Lets start from the beginning.

Nat drove us all in there although there were times we thought her car was gonna collapse around us, but we made it, easily parked by the cemetary. We then had our first taste of the bad organisation that was this years Big Day Out. For some stupid reason they only had one entrance working, which meant a huge walk through sand to get in, but we were keen and it didn't bother us that much.

BDO_smurfs

We watched some tool, jump the fence to get in, only problem was that all he had done was jump a fence to the street below, he was still outside the venue BAhahahaha T.O.O.L!!!

We got in and then headed to the main stages, Blue & Orange stages, saw the last few songs of the Donnas set, then moved to the Blue Stage were we caught Eskimo Joe and caught up with Bree, {for all the fans, Britney wore pink yesterday} ;o) Eskimo Joe were pretty damn good, I'm not a huge fan but they were good.

Toilet breaks etc ensured that we all got a bit split up, Chris went to see some local acts and the rest of us minus Bree met up at the Jebediah set. Which was okay but the sound quality and the stage set up left a lot to be desired, still we had a good mosh.

We all decided to go and get a drink in one of the licensed areas, we chose the one next to the Orange Stage as some of us wanted to catch The John Butler Trio. What a debacle that turned into, first up everyone was stupid enough to believe that I knew how to get in there hahahaha then once in, it took us ages to figure out the ticket system and then once we had our drinks we discovered another organisational stuff up. They had designed the exit of the bar area to feed directly into the crowd area for the Orange stage, we had to push through the crowd for like 20 minutes just to get out, there were hundreds pushing to get out with hundreds pushing to get in.

Well Waz and I finally got out of there and made it to Le Tigre for a couple of songs, as Waz put it "ABBA on acid" hehehehe.

Then with Bree in tow we headed to the Boiler Room. Caught up with my good mate Nigel along the way, then we headed in. Infusion 1st up, they were excellent. Nigel then made the fateful decision to go and see The Streets, I almost joined him, but decided to stay and watch DJ Bexta. Best decision I ever made. Nigel tried to get back in for the Freestylers only to find the whole Boiler Room shut down, with a cordon of 8 police and other security Goons blocking the entrances and exits.

Seems a group charged one of the exits and got inside so the security panicked and shut it down, inside was only about 70% full, so we had lots of space for The Freestylers and DJ Carl Cox. Apparently there were 5000 people amassing outside to get in, and they didn't start letting people back in until 10pm.

They got to see the end of what was the highlight of the evening for me, The Chemical Bros, man they were totally excellent. All up Waz, Bree and myself had a 7 hour dance marathon.

We dragged our butts out of there, got Bree hooked up with her friend Claire for the train ride home and then we both met up with Nat, Caz & Chris who were fantastically waiting for us at the main entrance with the car. I doubt Waz and I would have made the walk to where it was originally parked so a big thanx to Nat ;o)

That was that really, except for me freaking some petrol station attendant out at 12.30 am with the story of my whole day, I just went in there for a raspberry icy pole, he stared at me like I was a freak, I think I was, but you know how it is when sometimes you cant stop talking ;o) hehehe

Not everyone had the same experience as me though, heres an email I got from Nigel this morning, so sucked he got locked out of the Boiler Room. It makes for an interesting contrast.


________________________________

Sigh.. that was totally f#cking shit.
F#cking BDO organisers – not enough toilets, VERY poor layout, tiny stages and crowd areas for large acts, HUGE push-fest to get to The Streets, who wasn’t even that good, ended up having to leave. Then we have the f#cking boiler room… you shouldn’t have to get into a room 2.5 hours before the act starts, I paid 108 bucks to see The Chems AND the Beasties, AND any others I wanted to before then. F#cking cops, f#cking security being pushy fat goons, so pissed off!! They should have anticipated the crowds, NOT oversold tickets (36,000 ppl there last nite!!!) – refused to watch Cox n Chems on some shitty screen with sound coming out of even shittier speakers in the freezing cold.
Definitely my last one for a while… really only enjoyed John Spencer and infusion, bit sad really, been going to these things for 8 years or so… looking forward more and more to this bush doof in 2 weeks.
Glad you had fun dude, smart cookie staying in there, tho im a bit pissed to know that the room was only ¾ full… and as I sit and type with the superbowl on in the background, whats playing during downtimes?? The Chemical Brothers…
Sending you a photo you sent me – couldn’t get that smurf one, hope you sent it to someone else too!!
Lemme know when you get back, perhaps we can go party somewhere.
Sorry bout the bitching, just a tad miffed,
Nige.
Ps. Thought I might share one of your less.. lucid texts with you from last nite, one I read first thing this morn:
12.15: “Omg I just stood in front of a petrol station guy and dribbled shit I think I freaked him out but I got my icy pole”
Party on, tiger!

Comments