I'M CAESAR AND SO'S MY WIFE

New Julius Caesar Always Alert on Ides of March

BERLIN (Reuters) - Sharing a name with the most famous leader of ancient Rome is not always easy when you're a modern politician -- especially on the Ides of March, when the first Julius Caesar was assassinated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


"Let's put it this way, I'm always particularly alert on March 15 and have always come through it fine so far," said Cajus Julius Caesar, a parliamentarian with Germany's opposition Christian Democrats (CDU). "It's not a real worry."

Allowing for the alternative spelling of his forename, his name exactly matches that of his Roman predecessor Gaius Julius Caesar, who was stabbed to death by senators in Rome in 44 BC, on March 15 -- the Ides of March.

Caesar, 54, said on Tuesday that while his name has made it easy for him to stand out in politics, it does have its drawbacks -- especially when people refuse to believe it's genuine.

One member of his party could only respond with sarcasm when the politician first tried to introduce himself.

"I introduced myself as Cajus Julius Caesar, and he replied 'and I'm Napoleon Bonaparte' because he didn't believe me," said Caesar, who hails from western Germany.

Another CDU lawmaker demanded to see his identification.

Caesar, a trained forester, inherited his name from his father and has passed it on to one of his sons. He can only trace his surname back to around 1700, but does not rule out a link with the conqueror of Gaul and invader of Britain.

"I can't prove that I'm related to the Roman general and dictator, but I don't want to rule it out either," he said.

He is also used to meeting incredulity when trying to make reservations or sign contracts -- though he has found ways to turn this to his advantage.

"I've won a few bets with people about my name," he said. "But only for the odd round of drinks or a meal of course."

Despite his namesake's grisly death -- murdered by nobles claiming they were saving the Roman Republic from his dictatorial ambitions -- Caesar says he has no designs upon the highest office and does not expect to die with a dagger in his back.

But this doesn't stop him from wondering.

"If we assume Caesar was 56 when he died, that means I'm only two years away ... perhaps the danger's not over yet!" he said with a laugh. "I'll need to stay alert."

Comments