Tonight was dinner at Ria, which is fast becoming my standard pre movie dinner place, followed by Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man at the Luna Cinema in Leederville. I've been waiting a long time to see this film.
.
.
I first discovered Leonard back in the 80's. I was fumbling around in a box of cassette tapes which belonged to my girlfriend at the time.
.
"Who's Leonard Cohen?" I asked holding up his album.
.
"It's music to slash your wrists to" she replied
.
I've heard that expression many times since used to describe his music, she hadn't and those who still say it really haven't listened to his music. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of sadness and melancholy there, but there's so much more as well.
.
So we slid along to catch the film at the Luna, when I first met Amanda I was amazed she liked Leonard as much as I did, hard to find Leonard lovers these days I had thought, but that's not exactly the case.
.
I never realised how dedicated to the craft of songwriting he was until tonight. Summed up in this quote .......
Cohen is always rewriting. In 1988 he was full of enthusiasm for a song he was writing called My Secret Life, but it took him another 13 years to get it right. "I can't discard a verse until I've written it as carefully as the one I would keep."
Cohen is always rewriting. In 1988 he was full of enthusiasm for a song he was writing called My Secret Life, but it took him another 13 years to get it right. "I can't discard a verse until I've written it as carefully as the one I would keep."
.
Bonus for me was the appearance of 3 of my top 5 performers in this film, for $8.50 I got Leonard, U2 and Nick Cave. Life is good.





Comments