REGRETS I'VE GOT A FEW

I can't even remember the date except it would have been mid eighties. I was an apprentice chef back then and after work some nights my head chef Dave and I would often hit a little club in Claremont called Club Bayview. Back then it was a pretty cool joint, small and not too crowded, membership gave you certain privileges, we knew the crew really well and basically it rocked. We'd often fall/stagger out of there 3 hours after it closed, having kicked on with the staff. Today like most clubs do after a while it sucks. But I digress.
.
So this one particular Thursday night we've finished a pretty busy service and decide we'll hit the club for a few quiet ones. It was a small crowd, maybe 40 people, the atmosphere was anything but electric. I wasn't keen on a late one as I was having a big one the following night, I'd scored a night off to go see the Eurythmics at the Perth Entertainment Center. So I decided to leave after about an hour, Dave protested and told me not to be a wuss "stay and have a couple more you big girls blouse". But I was focused on the next night, not that night. So I left.
.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I arrived at work the next morning to do the lunch service only to be met by a grinning head chef
.
Dave: "Have a good sleep did we?"
.
Me: "Yeah was pretty good thanks"
.
D: still grinning "Hmmm"
.
M: "What are you grinning about, I just didn't feel like drinking much last night, get over it"
.
D: "Oh no it's not that" still grinning like a dufus
.
M: "Well what then? And take that stupid smile off your face will ya"
.
D: "Hahaha well you're never gonna guess who walked in about 20 minutes after you left"
.
M: "Who?"
.
D: "Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox. the Eurythmics mate"
.
M: ":blink:"
.
He could tell from the fact that all the colour had drained from my face that I believed him and was a tad devastated.
.
M: "No fucking way"
.
D: "Yes fucking way and after a few minutes Dave sat down at the piano (they had a baby grand tucked away in the corner for early week nights when they played smokey jazz etc in there) and tinkled away whilst Annie sat on it and they did 3 of their songs.
.
M: "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
.
Seems they were just looking for somewhere to do a little vocal chord practice and someone told em about this club and its piano and the rest is history. And I missed it because I went home to bed like a big girls blouse. It took me weeks to get over/live that one down. Still, they rocked at the bigger gig, so it wasn't a complete loss.
.
I saw this bit of news this morning and it's what made me think of the above.
.
....Little known musician Chris Jagger had been saying for years that his famous brother Mick would one day join him on stage. When it finally happened, the audience numbered about 40. It happened late last month at the Bull's Head, a riverside pub in southwest London. In the impromptu performance, Chris, 59, plays guitar, and the brothers use a single microphone to sing "Dead Flowers," a track from the Stones' "Sticky Fingers" album....

Comments