AM I A BAD AUSTRALIAN

Every year I attend an ANZAC day service, sure it's not always the dawn service but a service nonetheless. Not this year. Last night Gen and I hit Da Brunos restaurant as well as a fair portion of red wine. So the fear of sunlight hitting my flesh this morning forced me to stay in bed. No way could I have made it to a service, I'm sure the diggers would understand, they enjoyed a nice Shiraz themselves....often.
.
Da Brunos, one of my top 5 restaurants for Perth (sadly the top 5 is also the only 5 - Perth is a culinary backwater these days - apart from the below)
.
1. Jacksons
2. Balthazar
3. The Loose Box
4. Da Brunos
5. I'm struggling to remember number 5 (point made)
.
I had the handmade gnocchi with 3 cheeses and the crumbed veal cutlet stuffed with porcini mushrooms on truffle mash with fresh artichoke, beans and zucchini. Gen had the homenade ravioli filled with scallop and prawn in a sauce of saffron butter and scallops and the tiger prawns with stuffed Morton bay bug.
.
Delicious.
.
We shared a vanilla creme brulee to finish off. All washed down with a fantastic 2002 Cascabel Fleurieu Shiraz. I only have 5 bottles of this left so it only appears at special occasions, Gens birthday being one of those naturally, damn it's a good wine
.
Then onto the Must Wine Bar for a bottle of something or other which I knew the name of when we opened it but not so much now ha! It was forgotten somewhere between the first sip and trundling home around 1am.
.
So apologies to the diggers, you are not forgotten by any means, I will make amends next time round, promise.

Photobucket

Comments

Anonymous said…
Perth a culinary backwater - Why is that ? When I travelled Europe in the early -coff- 90's , I worked ( well they called it work , I called it " the lift tickets and 500 francs a week for washin dishes " scam )in the Swiss alps , theere were a heap of chefs from Perth .
Guess they never went back or fondue never caught on :wink: -Reb .
stu said…
hehehe fondue never left, that's the problem, nah some come back most meet a swiss girl and stay there, who wouldn't? There's a few more than that list but mostly it's generic Italian cafes, weal marsala, veal scallopini, spaghetti marinara etc etc, heaps of interesting Asian though, that's good.