Well maybe not iconic but I'm gonna miss this one when it's gone. Riddled with asbestos so they have no choice. Back when I was studying to be an archaeologist we got to visit the bowels of the museum and see things that the public don't.
I got to hold a 400 000 year old Acheulean hand axe, there really is something very cool about holding something that one of our early ancestors made. They had rows of pull out shelves of this sort of stuff, a set of mummified hands from Egypt (no idea what happened to the rest of the body), stuffed animals of every kind and well just heaps of stuff that is no longer displayed.
We also met the resident chimp, I forget the name they'd given him, but he was one of the cheetahs from the Tarzan movies. When he retired from films he ended up as the smoking chimp at the Perth Zoo. Fortunately what we call entertainment has altered over the years and we no longer have smoking monkeys on display, let them smoke in private I say, but they still dress him up in costume for certain displays at the museum. So he's effectively still in showbiz even in death.
Not sure when they'll pull this building down, it's been empty for a few years now. Just please don't replace it with a prefab concrete soulless monstrosity okay. Yes I note the irony in that statement, but this one does have a soul, I think anyway.
.
I got to hold a 400 000 year old Acheulean hand axe, there really is something very cool about holding something that one of our early ancestors made. They had rows of pull out shelves of this sort of stuff, a set of mummified hands from Egypt (no idea what happened to the rest of the body), stuffed animals of every kind and well just heaps of stuff that is no longer displayed.
We also met the resident chimp, I forget the name they'd given him, but he was one of the cheetahs from the Tarzan movies. When he retired from films he ended up as the smoking chimp at the Perth Zoo. Fortunately what we call entertainment has altered over the years and we no longer have smoking monkeys on display, let them smoke in private I say, but they still dress him up in costume for certain displays at the museum. So he's effectively still in showbiz even in death.
Not sure when they'll pull this building down, it's been empty for a few years now. Just please don't replace it with a prefab concrete soulless monstrosity okay. Yes I note the irony in that statement, but this one does have a soul, I think anyway.
.

Comments