OLD CORNER DELI # 1

There seems to be more and more of these around the burbs these days. Judging by the numbers there must have been a deli/grocery store on every 10th corner in Perth back in the day. I guess the mega and super marts ended all that. So in the interests of urban archaeology I think I might start another rolling series.

Norfolk st, North Perth. Not exactly on a corner but on the middle point of a T junction. This one's in amazingly good original condition as most have been boarded or bricked up and painted over. Not sure I'll find one as good as this again but I'll keep my eyes open.
Norfolk St deli Norfolk St deli 1 Milk, Bread and Ice Cream ice cream Fruit & Vegetables and Groceries fruit and veg Patent Medicines and Ice Blocks ice blocks Bushells? Bushells Tobacco, Cigarettes, Confectionery and Drinks, but not necessarily in that order. cigs and drinks

Comments

Stella said…
Argh! I love these old little stores/houses. I am always so curious what they must look like inside.
stu said…
cool, glad you like, I've got my eyes on a few more. I went in one years ago, sadly the deli part was now a loungeroom, no fittings left :(
Gregoryno6 said…
Have you been to the Wood St intersection yet? Three old stores, all still in use.
The old boy across the road has lived in Bedford for most of his life. According to him, that little spot was the neighbourhood shopping centre for a long time. Back in the days when mothers stayed home and families had one car if they were lucky.
stu said…
wood st Inglewood?
Anonymous said…
I'm not usually one to be picky - but you always call North Perth Mount Lawley. The area north of Vincent street and west from William street is North Perth. I have no idea why but I find this infuriating. It leaves me seething with rage.
stu said…
You're 100% correct anonymous :(

can you find it in your heart to forgive my error?
Gregoryno6 said…
Wood St Inglewood - that's the place.
stu said…
I think I know the ones you mean, a fair few original shops still in use down those parts
Anonymous said…
Forgiven! :) And I am no longer going fucking insane! Thank you Stu.
stu said…
I do what I can :)
Anonymous said…
If my somewhat drunken memories (Queen Adelaide tinged hazy memories) are anything to go by this is 64 Norfolk Steet?

It has really been spruced up in the past 15 years.

Really nice house inside too, complete with crumbling sleepout and three huge bedrooms with fireplaces.

I'm amazed the original windows (and door) are still in place, complete with writing. That's neat.