NAHM THAI

I'm always missing friends birthdays because of work but the upside of this is an excuse to celebrate again and I'm all for extending a party. So last night I hit Nahm Thai with Warren and Garry for Garry's birthday.

nahm thai

How do you describe Nahm? You can't just say "It's a Thai restaurant" even though it is, it's a fantastic Thai restaurant and by that I don't mean their green curry chicken has more than one green veg in it, Nahm is something very special. I could sum it up with Garry's own words, squeezed out between mouthfuls "This is beautiful food, actually it's the best food I've ever had!" No argument their Gaz old chum.

We started off with one plate of all three appetizers on offer, scallops in their shell with a spicy and maybe slightly too strong sauce and topping (that will be my only complaint here), some duck rolls and the most incredible galloping horses dish. This last dish consisted of minced pork, caramelised duck, and prawns on the top of fresh slices of mandarin and pineapple, one of each each.

some pics of the starters, we were too busy stuffing the mains into our mouths to take pics of the other courses

Scallops

duck rolls

galloping horses

Then we grabbed three mains to share; seared salmon and scallops which was pan-seared salmon fillet with roasted peanuts and herbs and mangosteen. A dish of crispy skinned pork hock (so so tender under the crispy skin) and their signature dish of Roast duck in red curry with fresh lychee and quail egg. Where do I start? You need to try each of these dishes, so good in fact that I even ate the lychees (yes Tiff).

Because and only because it was Garry's birthday we had dessert, I've never been a fan of custardy desserts or rice desserts etc so I opted for the lime tart which was light, limey and delish, no complaints there. Garry tried the banana pudding custard thing and said it was nice. I'll take his word on that.

With a nice bottle of Gewurztraminer with the mains and a glass of dessert Gewurztraminer with the last course it all rounded out to $100 a person, pretty good for 3 courses of fine Thai food with drinks. My 3rd visit and not my last by a long shot.

High Thais: The food, wow just wow

Low Thais: Slightly overpowering topping on the scallop dish (meh get over it)

9 pieces of scaffolding out of 10 (see the 1st pic)

Nine Fine Food on Urbanspoon

Comments