THE REBIRTH OF THE PARK HILL ESTATE

In the course of my current uni studies I got to read up on this particular block of estate flats in Sheffield, England. A massive example of Brutalist Post-War Modernism architecture, built after the war to service the chronic housing shortage, it had fallen into disrepair over the years.


I lived in England for a bit and I never truly appreciated the architectural beauty of the "council flat" estates. I still don't really, a lot of them were just plain horrible. But not all. As vast and all encompassing as this estate is, it has a certain beauty and charm in its form.


It was nice to discover that unlike a lot of these estates, this one has undergone a renaissance. It's been completely restored and now looks better than it has for a long time.


A new lease of life that has won architectural awards and praise from all quarters. Now if only there was the money to fix all of the other estates in the UK like this

Comments