THE LONG BLOG GOODBYE




Not mine, mine's kind of saying hello again. My life is such that I'm sort of thinking about blogging more and more, I kinda like keeping a record of things.

And on this rainy Good Friday I'm sitting alone in my apartment looking at my blog bookmarks. There's 132 of them left, down from around 300 back in the day, I've been culling them ever since. I've just been through all 132 of them and it's not good, there's only 22 left...

I'm not sure what to say about that.

Even some of the stalwarts have dropped away, they've posted erratically over the past year or so but daily or weekly is a thing of the past. Hey I'm guilty of the same. Life man, it just kinda get's in the way right?

I'm not gonna stew over why this is happening, I've done that before, I guess it just didn't stop sliding. I'm still not deleting a bunch of them for the same reasons I didn't back in 2014, but I'll miss em.

What has stood out though is the timing, a heap went in 2014 and a bunch hung on, losing a few every year until 2017 and BAM! 2017 officially the year that blogging said no more, so many shut up shop. But hey, some still kick on like the first guy I ever followed way back then busblog, still writing almost every day, I'm still reading weekly, but mostly following his car chase commentaries on twitter.

So if you're still keen to read a blog then I'm still keen to list em for ya, so here ya go...

3 Quarks Daily, some awesome links every day, you'll learn things
Acid Sweat Lodge The coolest pics from the 70s
BLDBLOG Architecture, design and landscapes and more
Bicycle Perth A blog from my hometwon that keeps us up to date with biking stuff and things
Busblog Do not be surprised to find Tony Pierce  blogging from his grave, may they be a long time from now tho
Chocolatesuze Food blogger from Sydney
Cynical C Just interesting stuff, pop culture, life etc
The Dusty Box Awesome historical stories of my hometown, worth it even if you're not a local
Gail At Large I've been following Gail's (a freelance photog) life with all of its ups and downs for years
Hurben.Net A local Perth streetartist
John Hawkes Some paleoanthropology, genetics and evolution, if you're so inclined
Kottke.org One of the longest and best, it shouldn't require an intro, get in there
Mcsweeney's Good fun, good reads
Streetsy Street Art from all over
Susannah Breslin a "modern-age Studs Terkel" and a "rare commodity online."
Street Art News More street art from all over
Raymi The Minx I've followed Raymi almost as long as Busblog, seems to be blog less but still here
Red Ferret Gadgets and tech and things
The Sartorialist Because you can never have enough style in your life
The Selvedge Yard The posts are spread but they've got a lot of grunt and I bought their T shirt once
The Hype Machine This music blog got me through my university degree so they be totes old, tech not a blog
Waiter Rant The posts are no longer about life in a bistro but Steve still posts, plus I bought both of his books

and a final shout out to Davey Dance Blog because this was a fav of mine and Davey got hit really badly by a car riding his bike through Manhattan 3 years ago and still hasn't returned to make any vids, so I'm still hoping he's okay and healing. So I'll leave you with one of Davey's vids, check out the rest too...






Comments