THEY ALWAYS KNOCK DOWN THE COOL STUFF

Ever watch a YouTube clip and suddenly go "hol up!" 
Yep, I know you have, I have, just the other day I have!.
The clip was an old one of the city I call home, Perth, and there was a shot showing where they'd reclaimed the foreshore on the Swan River. You know, for when they built the freeway that knocked down all the cool stuff!
The hol up moment was when they panned to the big carpark that used to adorn the front of the city and there like a beacon of white is this building with a small tower atop that I'd sure as hell never seen before, it's there in the bottom right corner of the car park...
No matter how long I stared at this blurry image I couldn't tell what it is or why vehicles are driving into/under it as they exit the freeway.
But, because I love a research or ten, I became minor league obsessed with finding out what this structure was and how come I never knew about it.
Well the answer is, it's the Crystal Park Garage, aka Sydney Anderson's Used cars.
Turns out this place had a roaring buiness during the 40s, 50s and early 60s when people would drive their car to work, drop it off at the garage to have it serviced, walk up the road into the city and head to work and then collect it later for the drive home.
The used cars had gone by the sixties and so had the name Crystal Park, it was a garage and a Rent A Car place by this time. Then they finished reclaiming the land and finished the freeway and eventually knocked it down along with all the other cool stuff.

Comments