TUNNEL RAT

It seems that my brother loves going down into tunnels and underground whenever he can. We arrived at a crusader castle in Jordan, Shobak Castle, and we discovered an entrance to a stairwell. Completely black down there so we illuminated it with our camera flashes. Justin decides he'll go down for a look, I decided my bung knee and 50% lung capacity (still had the man flu) wasn't up for it and that I'd stay up top. So in he goes....

Shobak Castle 03

I'm wandering around the top of the castle for around 15 minutes and suddenly I think I hear my name being called out from somewhere in the distance. Nah, couldn't be. But I am starting to wonder where Justin is, so I head back to the stairwell entrance and call out for him....no answer. I go back up top and there it is again, my name being called out, so I look down into the valley below....

Shobak Castle 16

That's when I spot him, Justin is way down there in the valley by the bridge....

Shobak Castle 15

The stairwell was in fact a secret passageway that the crusaders had cut beneath the castle and out into the base of the valley below. An escape hatch I guess, good to have when your castle is under seige. So I'm standing way up there and Jus is way down there and we're both laughing our butts off and then I realise, poor bastard has to climb back up now....

Shobak Castle 19

but he finally makes it....

Shobak Castle 20

as soon as he's back up top he finds another tunnel....

Shobak Castle 29

and then another, this time under the chapel....

Shobak Castle 35

Shobak Castle 36

crazy fool, speaking of crazy check out what is possibly the best use of a duvet cover ever, where's The Satorialist when you need him

Kerak Castle 17

more Castle, Bedouin and Jordan pics here in my flickr set

Comments