OLD PERTH # 33

Doing some research at work last week and I found some more cool historic pics of the Perth Zoo. So following on from the previous zoo post here's a further Old Perth Zoo post. 

Full disclosure; I am not a big fan of zoos for entertainment, I think zoos should serve only one purpose, the preservation of endangered species. Thus I accept that some animals will be on display purely for public enjoyment and if this is required in order to fund the preservation of others then its a pill I can swallow. Perth Zoo is one such zoo, and I'm stoked that they've improved their exhibits massively over the past few decades.

I'm assumimg this is Labouchere Rd (1898)

 The bear caves, still just as creepy today as they were back then

Okay, so I didn't know there was a Guinea Pig Castle at Perth Zoo (1905)

Just the saddest of sad photos, 
happy to report that the Sun Bear enclosure is massively improved these days 

I also did not know we once had a hippo, albeit a baby one 

Yep, just another shitty sad photo of a bear enclosure (no longer used) 

And now I know what those little white huts around the old oval were for, likely changing rooms for tennis. These courts were long gone by the time I first ever visited the zoo, but some of the white huts remained


Comments