9.11.21

 Twenty whole years have passed. It seems that each year it fades further into the fog of memory. This year of course is a big anniversary and it looms large on all of our TV sets and social media platforms. It's inescapable. I think on this day in this year that's a good thing. We have so much going on right now as Covid rules our lives. I don't want to say it's necessarily a distraction from all this but it kind of is.

I was just reading back to my two previous blog posts on this event and I think my feelings about it remain the same. It was an horrific moment for everyone who perished and also for those who survived. The survivors are vast, all over the world, because it struck us all. It still does, just in different ways. 

But today I think I'm going to focus my thoughts on those who perished in those two towers on this day 20 years ago. Not a single one of those people deserved to die, not a single one, nor those who died from the effects of the tower collapses many years on. There are so many.

I did take some solace in reading this article in The Atlantic of some who survived and then sobered by the stories in this Guardian article of what happened to those who became the "images of the day". 

Twenty years on, we shouldn't ever forget


Photo Credit: Flynn Sloyan


Comments